Oh how I love growth and learning. I had the chance over fall break to participate in a panel for preservice teachers - to impart to them all of my "veteran" wisdom. Though it was fun to reminisce about a time that I was starving for guidance (which I still am), I loved being able to reflect on what I had learned. I knew things and had ideas that they rushed to scribble down in their notes like it would be their lifeline during their student teaching. It was fun. I'm learning, people, and I'm getting somewhere new. Somewhere improved.
So today, I made gains . . . and then had those gains somewhat robbed from me.
Remember the student who I pulled out in the hallway during the 1st week of school because of his attitude? And then I felt really bad about it? Yeah - him.
Well, we had another incident today. I've started a different procedure with my 4th period that requires students to raise their hands because I was having a hard time keeping control of the discussion in class and the same people would just shout out answers (serious and not) like nobody's business. So, it's all raised hands. Is it perfect yet? No, but it's getting better and I don't have to do as many reminders.
Well, this student, right after one of my consistent reminders about raised hands, shouted out the answer to my question. Very deliberately, I ignored his outburst, and called on someone raising their hand by saying, "Thank you so much for raising your hand, (Student). What do you think?" When I validated her answer with a "RIGHT!" this somewhat ruffled student (quite loud and directed at the class) said, "See, I got it right. Yeah, I'm sexy."
Seriously?
Because I KNEW I had established expectations contrary to his outburst and to its content, I simply said, "(Student), that's a warning." It's part of my procedures. It's not punitive. It's simply a signal to tell the student that their current behavior isn't going to fly and they need to make a change.
Well, I got a huge attitude outburst in return.
"SERIOUSLY? Everyone else was talking! Why do I get in trouble if everyone else is talking? This is so stupid. You don't even know what you're doing."
To concede, other people had been shouting out answers occasionally, some of which I addressed with explicit instructions to "Raise your hand, please," while others I addressed by increasing my proximity to the person talking. However, my warning to him was because of the outburst and the appropriateness of his comment.
I raised my voice in a way that got everyone's attention and was probably dripping with frustration, I responded, "Excuse me. I will not tolerate being talked to in that way. You can see me after class if you have a problem."
Hindsight: my response was somewhat emotional and I shouldn't have let him get to me; I probably shouldn't have made my personal response to him something the whole class became audience to; I should have been more consistent with my procedures - if one student spoke out of turn or interrupted, they should have received a similar warning.
Counter Hindsight: the response on my part was emotional enough that it was surprising to the class - for the rest of the period students were very attentive to my hand raising expectations, so maybe something worked?
Of course I knew he wasn't going to voluntarily stay after class, so I asked him to stay seated once the bell rang. I took my time helping other students, recording notes, and picking up my classroom (since I remembered Dr. Crowe encouraging us to make students accountable for the time they wasted in class) before I addressed him.
I was not emotional. I simply said, "What's going on today, (student)?"
Super defensive and someone disrespectful response: "Nothing's going on. What's going on with you?"
"Well, I'm just a little worried about you. Did something happen over Fall break that was upsetting?" (See me trying to get to some background information here before coming to a conclusion? Oh yeah.)
"No," he responded. "I just slept."
"Well, do you want to tell me what happened today?"
Frustrated vent: "I just don't understand why I got in trouble. I mean, everyone else was talking and I was even shhhh-ing them to be quiet but they didn't. But the second I spoke up, you got mad at me. I just don't get it. I mean, all I did was answer your question."
"(Student), you're very right. I'm glad that you said this. First of all, my "That's a warning" comment was exactly that. It wasn't saying you were in trouble or that you are a bad student; it was simply my way of letting you know that you were making choices that need to be changed according to my rules for my classroom. It was just a signal to you to stop the behavior. But my comment was not just a warning about talking, it was also in response to the appropriateness of what you were saying."
He gawks at me and retorts, "What did I say?"
"Let's replay the situation. What do you remember saying?"
"I just answered your question."
"That's right. And then you rewarded your correct answer by...."
"I don't know..."
"I believe one of your comments was, 'I was so right. I'm sexy.'"
"Oh yeah."
"You tell me - do you think that was an appropriate comment in my class?"
"Well.... Now that I think about it... No."
"I know, right? Hindsight's always 20/20. Then I gave you a warning simply to let you know that the road you were headed down wasn't going to fly in my class. And how did you respond?"
"I talked back."
"(Student), maybe that's why I got so frustrated. Multiple times during our brief conversation here you've admitted that you knew better: you were shh-ing students because you understood my expectations, you understand now that some kinds of comments aren't appropriate in my class. This is evidence to me that you understand what's going on! You understood the expectations but didn't behave accordingly."
Silence.
"(Student), have you ever thought of being a comedian?"
"Yeah. I do comedy routines all the time. I've been doing it for like the past 4 years."
"I can tell. Just like you saw, other students were talking, right? But you have a gift. You've got perfect timing - you know just the right moment to say something to get everyone's attention. The only problem is, my class isn't a comedy stage. Write those thoughts down! Keep note of them for a future comedy routine, but use your best judgement in my class."
After this, he was somewhat responsive (which was better than most days with him). I had him fill out a behavioral contract, and was very careful to let him know that the contract wasn't punitive. It was simply something that I could use to remind him of the commitments he made to improve if I don't see a change in behavior. I got a phone number to call home and told him that I would do so, again not in a punitive way but in a way that would give him reminders at home and at school.
When he asked for a late pass, I simply said, "Why do you think I'm reluctant to give you a late pass?"
He didn't really answer my question but said, "Mr. _______ is really strict about tardies."
"Well, this is a great lesson to learn then! If you follow directions and stick to the commitments you've made, then I won't need to keep you after class again to talk about behavior changes."
As he made the way to the door he seemed to plead, "Well, if I get one more tardy, I'm going to have to go to truancy court."
"Is that my fault or yours?"
With a roll of his eyes, he called out, "It's my family's fault," and exited my classroom.
Did I handle things perfectly? Heck no. So feel free to give me advice and feedback here.
I did call home to speak with his sister in law, whom he lives with because of some very exhaustive circumstances. I learned that this student doesn't just struggle with this attitude issue in my class, which was somewhat of a comfort to me. He's been known to be even more aggressive. I was grateful for the background knowledge she gave me, and let her know about the behavior contract we began together. I encouraged her to talk about it with this student (though it seemed she was more afraid of him than I was).
I entered some log notes about the situation and continued through the day feeling like I'd done okay. I hadn't screwed everything up and I felt like progress was made.
An hour or so later I received an email from the vice principal about when we enter a log note about an incident and when we don't. I thought I was doing it right, but it can't be coincidence that this is my first log note and moments later I get instruction on what not to do, right?
Should I talk to the administration about it? Several other teachers have said to use log notes for every little thing - it's a security issue for teachers! You can document efforts made so you have something to hearken back to. But the email we just received was definitely contrary to that teacher-based instruction.
I don't know.
I had a game planned for commonly confused words today. I told students when I started that if they didn't listen and follow directions they would get a spelling test. And I made good on that threat with 2 periods. It definitely worked. I just need to remember to vary my instruction - I'm a much more energetic and active teacher, so I shouldn't be surprised when my students return energy back at me. I've got to be able to create quiet, to-yourself activities as well.
It's not about how I like to learn or how I like to teach. It's about what works best for my students.
What a day.
I'm off to grade narratives - ta-ta!
Aaargh! I have been there! I have called out one student when others were also misbehaving, and I have had that student talk back to me. You handled it well. A different way (which is what I did) was to take the student out in the hallway to address the situation immediately. I had basically the same conversation you did, but immediately and privately (with the student in the hall and me in the doorway so I could keep an eye on the classroom, and the students could tell that I was keeping an eye on the classroom). For me, the issue was having the student talk back to me. We talked about the misbehavior, too, but I made it clear that he was not to challenge me in that way ever again, that if he thought he was being treated unfairly I would be happy to talk to him after class but he was not to be disrespectful in front of an audience. I also had a couple of times where I had to admit to a student that perhaps I HAD treated him unfairly. I would kind of go with the flow and allow stuff to get out of hand, and then the student who got the "think time" sheet would feel picked upon - others were doing the same thing and they didn't get "punished." In the end, the best way is to not allow things to get out of hand at all. To be consistent. Every time. Not always our natural instinct! From your later posts, it sounds like you are learning that that works (raised hands every time, etc.)
ReplyDeleteWow Cali, I don't know how you were able to remember the play by play, but this was incredibly insightful. It's basically impossible to do this perfectly, but I really appreciate the way you included your rationale behind the choices you made and your reflections on what did and did not go well. This is a situation that is bigger than just your class, as you noted, but I think you handled it with grace and maturity.
ReplyDeleteAs a side note, I'd still document these things and save them. Even if the administration doesn't want you to email them, still have these notes on file.