When my students came in today and showed me that they didn't do their assigned homework for the 3rd time in a row (not third time not doing homework, but third time not doing the same homework that had only been assigned again because they hadn't done it the first time), I had an epiphany.
I can't teach my students to work hard. Sure, I can teach them why they should. Sure, I can persuade them with figures and numbers and holding points over their heads. Sure, I can show them by example. But when my students sit and refuse to work - or refuse to even try - I can't teach them.
How grateful I am for parents who taught me to work hard. To look at challenges with optimism and gumption rather than fear and failure. So, I'm looking at this challenge, and I'm not giving up. I will not pull back my high expectations for them. I will move forward and hope they learn that life (and my class) is much easier when you work hard and come prepared.
Wish me luck.

No comments:
Post a Comment