Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Doing it by hand...

I'm a technology snob.

Inadvertently, of course.

I still get surprised when I learn that someone doesn't own a cell phone, doesn't have an email address or doesn't have a computer at home.

But more than that...

I have a hard time believing that people survived without technology, especially as a teacher.

A few days ago, the internet server at our school went down.

No internet. No gradebook. No nada.

I panicked. How am I supposed to take roll?

I poked into a neighboring teacher's room and asked her what she was doing to take roll. She said, "I'm just marking who's not here on my seating chart. Don't you have a seating chart?"

Well, yes. But it's saved in Powerschool which I can't access because the internet is down.

Needless to say, after that day, I made hard copies of my seating chart.

So today, as I sat ready to tackle that to-do list on our second day of testing, my Microsoft Word program decided to play tricks on me and only open my documents in an itty-bitty window no bigger than my thumb on the screen.

Hmmm....

How am I supposed to write my unit plan and finalize my curriculum map when I can't see more than 2-3 words at a time?

Then it came to me....

I could do it by hand (at least until our Technology Assistant gets a few minutes to save this damsel in distress).

I realize it was not a novel idea, but it was definitely an eye opener for me.

Here's to doing it by hand (and hopefully not dying of carpal tunnel by the end of the day) - a whole new adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Be glad you learned this lesson now rather than when powerschool failed and deleted all of your grades. I love technology too--I don't know how teachers did without it--but it's possible that it will come back to haunt you if you don't build in some protection for yourself. You are wise to print up the seating chart for sure. I might also recommend printing up the gradebook at the end of each week as well, or at least after significant changes. You just never can tell what will happen...

    ReplyDelete