Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"The period from hell..."

Is it bad that I was relieved when one of the other English teachers came into my classroom after the last period of the day and said "Whoa - that was the period from hell."

Why was this comment comforting? Because she teaches all 8th graders, and I felt some similar sentiments from my first two eighth grade periods as well. Though my description would probably be less fiery and hostile, it was definitely unexpected. Who knew that 7th and 8th graders could be so dynamically different?

During my 2nd period of 8th graders, I had one student swagger in almost 10 minutes late while I was taking roll and learning names (since it was the 8th graders' first day of school). Instead of walking in politely or quietly, the boy bounced, opened his arms up to the classroom, and announced his presence with a very distinguished, "Whazzup my peeps?"

Though at the time, I thought my reaction may have been harsh, I feel much better about it now. I looked at him square in the face and said, "Excuse me. That is unacceptable. Go back to the hallway and try again." I'm sure he rolled his eyes along the way and made some gestures in the doorway (where I couldn't see) that sparked some laughter from his friends, but he walked in again, his swagger a bit wounded.

I guess I never expected to be the "mean" teacher. I'm not that person. I hate that moment when students give you the eye like, "Whoa, woman. Chill out," but I learned that sometimes it's necessary. A teacher pulled me aside after today and I shared my 8th grader impressions with her. When I told her how much I hated to be the mean teacher, she corrected me saying, "You're not the mean teacher. You're the no-nonsense teacher and they need to know that."

But on the bright side, I got some real practice with classroom management! That "You steal my time - I'll steal yours" procedure really works with them. They do NOT want to be in an English classroom for any longer than they have to, that's for sure.

It was a whole different kind of an adventure, but an adventure nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. This post is great evidence of some solid classroom management. I love that you asked him to go back out and try walking in again. The kid might have rolled his eyes at you, but it set the bar for the rest of the class in terms of expectations.

    And, I'm so glad the "you steal my time..." move worked for you. Isn't it funny how it just takes one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, great classroom management! Yay, Cali! How great that you got it right the first time (making him come back in the right way)> You will be a GREAT teacher.

    ReplyDelete