I LOVE English teachers.
I kind of have to since I AM one.
But I didn't realize how English teachers are oftentimes perceived by other teachers in the school. We're needy. Dramatic. Way too serious for our own good.
Why?
Well - have you seen the Common Core for Language Arts? I mean really? In comparison to the Core for Science? Or Math? Ours is a short novel. Theirs is a page. Or two.
So it's been kind of fun to be a part of/privy to the drama between curriculums.
The counseling center needs to make a presentation to all 8th grade students. They choose to do so during English classes; however, 8th graders have the DWA test in a few weeks, so that decision didn't go over well with 8th grade English teachers.
So now they're doing the presentation in Science classes.
The CRTs (end of level tests) are being scheduled. I put some pressure on the teacher in charge of the testing scheduling to find out when English was going to be doing their CRTs (because I want to make sure I CAN ACTUALLY GO TO MY GRADUATION without worrying about missing the end of level tests for my students). Found out English is going first. Found out this is not the first time they are going first. Also found out that this has been a sensitive point for the department for a LONG time.
And I wonder why some of my students think I take my job or my lessons too seriously. ;)
Speaking of tests, I'm doing some preparation and investigation to make sure that my students are prepared for the format of our end of level tests, as well as for the kinds of questions they are going to be asked. I've gotten a few model tests from other states, but I'm still on the lookout for some good tools. If anyone knows of any, let me know!
No comments:
Post a Comment