I'm a validation junkie. Seriously. So, I think I will record some recent validations I have received recently (in case they are the last I'll ever hear! Just playing it safe, plus I need a reminder (on my down days) that I am actually doing good things!)
#1: My department chair approached me last week (actually, I approached him, but we'll make it sound like this validation was completely unprompted by me!). I had emailed him about one of the teachers from the local high school (who is also the mom of one of my students) who contacted me with interest in collaborating to better understand what we can teach our 8th graders to prepare them for 9th grade. He explained he hadn't checked his email yet, but asked me to take point on setting time for this collaboration to take place. I told him I would talk to the high school teacher to get more specific about a date and time. He put his hand on my arm and said the following, "Cali, I just wanted to let you know what a great job you're doing. I haven't seen an intern this involved and this proactive, well, ever. Thanks for always being willing to take notes and keep us on track. Do you know where you want to work next year?"
"No," I answered. "But I've heard I really won't know about available positions until April, at least."
"Well, if you need it, I could write you a letter of recommendation. Whoever gets you is lucky to have you. You're doing a great job."
Yes. Success.
#2: The Director of the Special Ed department came to see me the other day. She stopped by to follow-up about a new student that just entered my class who is autistic. She wanted to let me know that the student had reported back to her, "I loved Mrs. Brown's class," which was a big deal, according to her, because this student typically hates school - especially English because of all the writing. She said, "I know I haven't ever been to your class, but from what your students say about you, I already know you are a great teacher. I hope you'll be here for a long time."
Yes. Success.
#3: (Happened today) The high school teacher / mom of one of my students (referenced in validation example #1) was at our school today. I've never met the woman specifically, but she looked extremely familiar for some reason. I approached her (while she was talking with our Assistant Principal), and asked trepidly, "Cassie?" Her face lit up with a grin and she replied, "Cali?" (We've been communicating regularly about her son's behavior in class and working together to get him to make improvements in my class). We shook hands and, in front of the Asst. Principal, she put her hand on my shoulder and said, "This woman is incredible. Hold onto her." We proceeded to have a discussion about her son, and she left with a "Thank you so much for everything."
Can I tell you - receiving validation reminds me how much my students need it as well. So tomorrow, when my students are writing their Thankful Letters, I'll be writing some of my own - to those students who have worked against odds, who have reminded me what this teaching thing is all about. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am about it!
Happy Love! Happy Validation! Happy Thanksgiving!
I'm glad you recorded these because you really are doing a fantastic job.
ReplyDelete