Friday, November 9, 2012

Make it Urgent

Today was PURPOSE PAPER day...

Can I tell you one idea for success in the classroom? Do the assignments with your students! It helps so much because students see that I'm doing the assignment, too, and it gives me a model to use with my students so they can get an idea of what I'm expecting as well as what they need to do in their work. So I quickly wrote my own purpose paper to my own genre of writing before class started. I read it aloud to the class and had them analyze it - "What did I do in my first paragraph? second paragraph?" or "Why did I need to include that for this assignment?"

It went pretty well and the groups worked well together.

Did I give them a lot of time? No. I gave them 20 minutes to complete this assignment and collaborate with their groups. Many of them panicked in the last five minutes, but I noticed that my notifications to them regarding time left were more motivating than intimidating. Most of them got it done without a problem... Some of them fooled around thinking they could finish it over the weekend and were extremely surprised when I collected the papers from everyone to turn in. (If there's anything I've learned about middle schoolers, it's this: don't trust them to bring papers back if they didn't finish it! Use intervention time or you'll never see it again!)

Even my journal prompts - I've noticed that there seems to be a sense of urgency with those as well. Mostly because I call it Ready, Set, Go Writing. I read the prompt aloud, answer any questions and shoo them off on their way to writer's bliss by saying, "Ready... Set.... Write!" Does it work with all of them? No. But most of them are poised and ready with their pencils when I say go!

Thoughts to welcome the weekend:
- Hello, principal. Thank you for coming in during journaling time so you really didn't see me do more than take roll. That's an effective observation.
- And thank you, students, for choosing today to have several brain farts while the principal was in the room. It's obviously really impressive that you answer the prompt with "I don't know" in your journal which you chose to share with the class.
- Please, dear district, take the time to press/click the silly button that allows me to actually be able to use my TV. They're taking my old laptop away on Monday, so I would really like the tools to be able to project writing and activities onto the board for the class to see by the time I get back from the weekend. Please. I'm begging here. Two minutes - it will take two minutes. Tops.
- Oh husband - why did you choose this weekend (the weekend I wanted to leave all work at work) to have a million tests and papers to complete? I guess I'll take some work home to grade after all... but I'm not making promises here! :D
- Dear sickness, I really hope you decide to pack up your bags and leave our apartment this weekend. As much as I like to cuddle up in blankets on snowy, cold days, I'd rather not cuddle up to a pile of used tissues. Thanks.
- Thanksgiving Break is almost upon us, and, of course, I have a million students having me sign teacher approval sheets for planned absences. So I guess I won't plan anything too pivotal to student success on that Monday or Tuesday.... I'm being strategic here... Any ideas for texts to teach around Thanksgiving?
- Thank you, wonderful school, for giving me a room with windows so I can watch the beautiful snow fall all around as I sit here loving my job.

Happy Friday...


1 comment:

  1. Yep. I'll bring them to seminar:)

    That's a yep on the Thanksgiving ideas.

    ReplyDelete