Umm.... Remember all those warnings to keep doors open when it's just you and a male student in the room?
Well, all of those training conversations came flooding back yesterday and today. One of my 8th grade boys came after school to work on a test he had missed a few days before. Because it was just the two of us in my room, I immediately opened the door.
I gave him some instruction on the test, he finished, and then stayed. And talked. And chatted. And I had no idea how to politely tell him to go home! It was fun, don't get me wrong. He's a good kid. But I started packing up (early mind you, because I had no idea how to deal with this situation!) and he got the message. He left the classroom with me, started making offers to teach me Spanish, and began to walk me down the hallway. All my senses were on alert. I asked him where he was going and he pointed in the direction I was traveling. My gut told me to ask him where home was and he pointed in the opposite direction.
Okay.
So, I jokingly told him to "Go home! Get started on that homework!"
He replied with this, "But I don't need to be home right now. And you're really fun to talk to."
Um...
Was this in the training? Did we ever talk about this? I'm not sure what to do.
So, I was a little more firm this time and said, "(Student) - go home! I'll see you in class tomorrow. Don't forget to do your reading!" And then I scurried down the hall like I was in rush.
I'm probably overreacting. All of those horror stories have had way to much fun with my brain. But this is definitely a first.
Any advice? (Since he stopped by my classroom again today... to "teach Mrs. Brown some Spanish.") He's probably just a really friendly student, but I want to stay as far away from that line as possible!
Oh well - I spent all last night grading. But it was actually beneficial! I was giving students individual and detailed feedback about how they could improve their writing projects for the REAL deadline this week. Individual, detailed feedback x 160+ students is a LOT of work, but I think it will pay off given students' focus during our revision time today. They were really dedicated and interested in my feedback (especially since I reminded them that they had committed to use my feedback and if they didn't it was going to hurt!).
I'm getting all my grading done this week! Because my plan is to send out a parent newsletter before break as well as individual emails to the parents of my failing students. If I get all the grading done, then I can rightfully say the grades are up to date when I send those emails or make those calls. We'll see how it goes!
Oh - and another teacher donated a printer to me! Now I have a printer in my room! Woot! Woot! No more running downstairs every night to print my lesson plans! I'm moving up in the world.... What can I say?
No comments:
Post a Comment