Friday, December 14, 2012

Keeping to My Word...

Remember how I've warned 4th period (on countless occasions) that if they can't handle the interactive lessons in class, I'll become the "worksheet" teacher?

Today - I made good on my word.

They came in asking, "Are we presenting today?"

In the somber-est of somber-est voices, I answered, "No."

I waited for the bell to ring and broke the news. I started in a quiet voice, "I've warned you. I've warned you that if you can't behave and handle fun and energetic lessons, I will give you worksheet after worksheet to work on by yourself. (Dramatic Pause) Well, welcome to Mrs. Brown's worksheet class."

I had them read a story and fill out questions on a worksheet during class time.

I had a prompt on the board that asked my students to email me with other ideas for presenting their work... I told them I would give them points based on the sincerity of their answers.

And I got this:

"Dear Mrs. Brown,
          I think that instead of having presentations we could do a keynote, or just write a paper on what we learned, then if we tell you what we learned wrong we just write it again and again until we get it right."

and this...

"I think that we could get in groups and then do a presentation on a topic that you choose. And then we can just turn it in to you because most kids don't want to show the whole class what they did."

and this...

"Ummm. I think anything that doesn't involve presenting in front of the class would be good.  For example:

Presenting to your group
Reading in front of a partner
Presenting as a group
Presenting with a partner"

and this...

"We could get little cardboard fold up presentation boards and  get pictures and facts and evidence.   We could pair up with someone and have both of them present to the class.  We could get into a group and act it out. ( personally I don't really like that last one."

These were so great and I loved all the ideas. I also saw a pattern. I've got a class that LOATHES speaking in front of a lot of people (which is funny since they like to talk so much to the rest of the class when I'M talking.) This is great feedback for me and I'll use it in our next unit, planning group presentations or additional presentation assignments like a powerpoint or poster... 

And then I got this:

"I thing anything could work if you weren't so strict. Enlighten more because its not that big of a deal. How about you try being like Mr.Thomas or Mrs. Boyd? Be fun and you would be able to enjoy and not get so mad."

I wasn't mad or even hurt when I got it. I had to laugh because it was so funny to me. This came from one of my brightest but sassiest students who chose to play on facebook today just to spite me and my assignment. Then he got mad that I confiscated his iPad. 

So I sent him this in response:

"(Student),

I appreciate your feedback. The funny thing is that it's a cause and effect situation. You fool around? I have to enforce the rules. You feel punished/bored because I'm keeping to the rules so you fool around more - evidenced by your facebook usage in class today and your "I don't care" responses. So I have to continue to enforce the rules. It's a cycle!

I appreciate your advice. I know Mr. Thomas and Mrs. Boyd well and they are both great teachers who find fun ways for their classes to learn. You probably respect them because of that, right? Which means they probably feel like they can trust you with fun assignments, right? Again, it's all cause and effect. 

Show me you can be respectful and work with me, and I'll show you a Mrs. Brown who isn't so strict. I know you're frustrated with me, but I hope you better understand my frustration with your class. 

Have a great weekend, (student). 

Mrs. B"

Being a teacher is so funny... I have students that think I am the "Best Teacher Ever!" because I come up with fun things and I'm energetic in class and I bring everything home and relate it to their lives. I had one student (in my 4th period class, mind you) say at the start of class, "Mrs. Brown - I've learned more in your class so far than I learned at all in my class last year." I'm not doing it wrong. But I also have students like the ones above. Like I expressed yesterday, I wish I could be everything each of my students need individually, but I can't. 

I'm so grateful that there are other teachers and different kinds of teachers to fill in my own personal voids. But I'm also grateful to be me. To be the crazy energetic teacher who talks funny sometimes and comes up with weird ways to help students remember concepts in my classroom. I'm grateful to be the teacher who will not stand for disrespect in her classroom. 

So, I'm going home satisfied... and loaded down with things to grade. As always!

No comments:

Post a Comment