Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Surprise, Surprise!

Remember how today was my fake deadline for the genre project? I was SOOOO strategic - I do fake deadlines so that I can get a better feel for what my students did understand and didn't understand in my instruction, and then use that assessment to inform my instruction and choices about where students are weak or where they need more clarification. After that, they get a "LAST CHANCE REVISON." So, to introduce my plan, I got in front of my students and played the compassion card:

"Guys, I know you've worked really hard on this project, but I've observed that some of you need a little more time to work out the kinks to your writing. Tell you what - I'll give you some choices. I can say that today is the final deadline, you'll email me your work and that will be it. Your grade will show up in the gradebook within the week. And kaput. You're done. OR, option number 2, I can still have you email me what you have, I'll review it, email you back with some feedback, and we can make our Final deadline next Wednesday. The only thing is, if you choose option 2, you are committing to use the feedback I've given you. If I'm going to give you extra time to work and if I'm going to take the time to give you individual feedback, I expect YOU to take the time to make the necessary changes. What do you think?"

It was great - except when my strategic plan backfired.

Almost every class went with option 2 - hands down. But my 4th period class gave me reason to pause. 13 of the students said they wanted to get it over with. Turn it in today. Never think about it again. 13 of the students said they wanted the extra time. It was a tie. As I was trying to convince my first 13 students that they wouldn't lose anything by getting some extra feedback from me, one student voiced, "Seriously? If they [referring to the students who voted for option 2] aren't ready, then it's their fault! They should have had it done."

I seriously froze up at that moment. That was supposed to come out of MY mouth. And I SO did not plan for this (but it's what I deserved given the fact that I gave them the choice!).

We went with option 2 (mostly because I know that some students need the extra time and that the feedback will, hopefully, be useful to all of the students to improve their writing), but I realized just how tired my students are of this project. Even though it's only been 4 weeks, I can understand. I just hope their stamina when we start our novels in class is going to be enough!

I had them email me their work - stupid idea? No. The stupid (more unplanned) idea was to not know how to turn off my iPad "ding" everytime it receives a message. I overloaded my inbox (though I quickly organized it according to period) and students went crazy to hear my iPad ding for the next two minutes. I actually think emails will be a good way to give feedback. Students linked up an email address with their iPad the other day, so I can send my feedback right back to them to receive on their iPad. (Goodbye, Red Pen. I won't miss you that much, sorry.)

We'll see how it goes.

We are starting our common assessment on inferences and citing evidence tomorrow and ending it on Friday (even though I JUST received an email from the principal saying that all 7th graders will be pulled from their 3rd period class on Friday for an assembly). So much for those plans. So, when in my well-planned out weeks, am I going to have them make-up that test?

Bah. Hum. Bug.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE planning. Without it, I would be a mad woman. But sometimes - just sometimes, I feel like it would be easier to plan day by day because then I wouldn't be scrambling to salvage my plans when things like this come up.

But teaching is all about flexibility. So, I'm going to go do some stretching and come up with a new plan. TA-DA!

1 comment:

  1. You are right on with your observation about planning. But it's ironic that schools, knowing full well that this is a useful and valuable practice of good teachers, bring issues like this on those teachers. Seriously, no one could foresee the need to do this test before this week? No one could have told you about it so you could have planned around that? I find that hard to believe. Issues like this are similar to when teachers complain about pep assemblies in the middle of class, which are also a demon of the schools own creation. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

    ReplyDelete