My memories of middle school... well, I'm fond of them. I was involved in every club/sport under the sun. I mean seriously - I was even on the cross country team! I did really well in school, I won awards, I had some of the most amazing teachers (that I'm still wanting to reconnect with to this day to let them know, "Hey, I became a middle school teacher!"), I loved it.
Granted - was I the most awkward person alive? Heck yes. I had absolutely no idea what was going on with my body - I still shudder when I see pictures! I had no idea about hygiene - I remember being teased about the fact that I didn't bring a new pair of socks every day for P.E. until the beginning of the week. Yes. I wore the same pair of socks every day for P.E. for a week.
I'm so glad that I've matured.
Well, today was the second half of our silly block day schedule. Started the day with a 90 minute prep period (which is how I now think everyday should start. Wow, I got so much done!). Followed by my last two periods of 7th graders. Were they a little worked up with it being Friday? Yeah. But everything went well.
Then came the last 90 minutes of the day - and I was in Assembly Group A which meant we went to Dixon's Got Talent first. And, sadly, I got my first up-close-and-personal look at how horrible middle schoolers are to each other.
I watched these brave souls take the stage and do their little dance routines or sing their little songs and I was transported back to those days of old when I took the stage and sang - yes, I did - the exact same song.
What I was unprepared for was the reactions of the students I was "watching over" during the performance. A sweet pair of girls took the stage and sang a very well-done rendition of Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat's "Lucky."
Yes, you horrid 8th grade boys, it was a song sung by a boy and girl and now two sweet girls are on stage singing about being in love with their "best friends," but that is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to start making lesbian jokes to your neighbor. And yes, I can hear you. And see you. And I'm not going to stop giving you the stink eye until you decide to quit your little antics and watch the performance like a decent human being who cares about other people's feelings.
I'm serious - here these talented students were, trying their very best to impress the student body with their talents.... And each of them were secretly being laughed at by these students surrounding me. And all I could do was give them the stink eye?
I wanted to pull him out of the auditorium and give him a piece of my mind - but was that really my place? What would I have said? Either way, I think I know where I'll be spending my time looking for informational texts to pull from in January - articles about bullying. I think it may be a good place to start.
It was my first dose of the mean side of middle school - I guess I need to get a reality check. Hopefully my own ignorance is evidence that my room is a "safe" place.... Oh well...
Broke my heart a little though... Some people can just be mean.
No comments:
Post a Comment