Friday, January 18, 2013

OMG(sh).

Let me just drop the bomb for you: 

15% of my 8th graders actually did their reading last night. So those cutesy, awesome lesson plans I created were absolutely worthless. I can't have a learning activity if they have no IDEA what I'm talking about!

Spent those periods reading and summarizing the chapters so that my students were caught up. And fake crying.

Fun moment: I put my head in my book in utter frustration and pretended to sob. A believable sob is all in the shoulders and the quiet, uneven intakes of breath. One of my darling 8th graders said - to the rest of the class - "Come on guys! You're making Mrs. Brown cry! Seriously! Just read the book!"

Epic moment: Shortly after the above moment, I turned to the same darling 8th grader with a question about the chapters that were assigned and - GASP of all GASPS - she couldn't answer it. The class really jumped on that one: "YOU didn't read and you're telling all of us we have to read! Look who shouldn't be talking!" 

Please remember - these comments were make with smiles and laughs and I talked to said darling student to chastise her for not reading and make sure she was okay with the teasing. 

So - most of my 2nd period currently has C's. Because now, they've bombed 2 reading quizzes. Like big time. 

OMG(sh). 

Granted - let's be honest - have there been times I went to class and hadn't read? Oh yeah. It happens. But I always felt so guilty for it, I would go right home and read the rest of the book. 

I told all my 8th graders that they had 1 last chance and that if 5 people did not read the chapters on this THREE-DAY-WEEKEND, I would have them leave the books here and we would read the novel in class and they would have worksheets and assignments to take home. 

Ouch.

Seriously - most merciful teacher ever award? Anyone? Anyone? 

***

There is something about Fridays though - I think it's the jeans. I always feel above the world on Fridays... not in a prideful, "I look down upon you" way, but in a "You can't touch me," "No one can steal my happiness" kind of way. Even the whole incident with the 8th graders - lecture was not an option. I chose the route of Overdramatic, broken-hearted teacher and it was so much more enjoyable to look crazy then to be crazy (because, let's face it, that's how students look at lectures on behavior). Don't get me wrong - I meant business and they knew it - but I had students promising the overdramatic, crazy English teacher, "I promise I'll read!"

Love it.

Love Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment