Guess what?
None of it was working.
My TV simply read, "Cannot connect to the internet," which was the worst message I could have ever received for this lesson.
(I mean, this whole unit was designed with the idea that they would each have their very own iPad by this point, so I've been doing a lot of the research work for them. Since the D-Day for this whole iPads Across the School thing has been postponed repeatedly, I've really had to be flexible with it all. But when I don't have any technology working for me, I almost flipped a lid.)
I pulled out the ole projector and hooked up my old laptop (which I selfishly kept for a time like this), and guess what?
That didn't work either.
My first period class was a mess.
I wanted to cry. Throw my hands up. Stomp out of the room and demand some help in here.
But my job isn't to show kids what not to do. It's to show them to be flexible and learn from their experiences.
So, second period came in and I started with a short monologue: "Class, I'm going to ask for you to be patient with me today. I'm trying to use lots of different kinds of technology, and I obviously seem to repel this stuff, so please - focus with me today. I'm going to need to to go with me even if things don't work out perfectly, okay? So if you can't see or if you don't understand where we are, please take action. Move to where you can see (quietly, of course), quietly ask a neighbor for help, do what you need to in order to make this work, cause that's what I'll be doing, okay?"
Things weren't much better technology wise, but when I had students complaining, I saw others giving them the stink eye or saying, "Hey, quit it. Just go with it."
And when the look of frustration on my face reach the "obvious" breaking point, I had some students fighting for me: "Guys, just be quiet! Listen!"
It wasn't easy - though I think I'm better off than some other teachers. (My wonderful neighbor came into my second period with her iPad blaring some kind of music and she asked me how to turn it off. I love helping her, simply because it reminds me that I'm not desperate. Technology doesn't repel me. I know something and can help somewhere.)
When I finally did get somethings to work, it was like magic. Was it perfect? No, but things went smoothly. I can only imagine what changes and difficulties we'll face when students get their iPads, but I'm so excited for what it means to their learning.
Roll with the punches, my friends. Letting students know you're human is also a nice choice (every so often, that is!). Don't get frustrated easily - and don't give up. Things will work out... at least they did before computers, white boards, and book printing, right?
Today, Mrs. Brown is a FLOW-RIDER.
Technology can be a blessing and a curse. We want you to use it, but if you get too dependent on it something seems to go wrong at the worst possible moment. I think your students' willingness to "go with the flow" today shows that teaching is more about technology. It's about having a group of kids that are trust you enough in regards to their own learning that when your lessons don't go exactly a planned, they still know you are going to teach them something. That shows it's not just about you--it's about them.
ReplyDelete