Tuesday, November 20, 2012

It Doesn't Have to be Perfect...

I knew today had to be an "easy" day, but the part of me that has to write learning objectives on every lesson plan that are tied to the common core which is designed to prepare kids for high school and college and real life . . . didn't want to. I have to teach them something! I can't let a day go by as a "wasted" day just because everyone and their dog decided to leave a day early for Thanksgiving Break.

(What would I do if I could leave a day early? Wear my pajamas and go see this movie 3 times. Just sayin. Totally productive, I know.)

So, I had them write Gratitude Letters. I read The Giving Tree, and we talked about how we can prove to someone that we are truly grateful for them. We talked about how saying "Thank You" is great, but often not enough. We have to show them.

And of course we've been talking about citing specific evidence over the past few days, so - moral of the story - I did get my learning objective in there somewhere. I told my students that a letter to their mom saying, "Thanks for all you do," means little in comparison to the letter with specific evidence: "Mom, thank you for always making me dinner and taking me to school and doing my laundry and going to work everyday. I appreciate all you do." Specific evidence proves that we do notice and we want to show it.

And then they wrote letters. Some were so sweet and beautiful. One of my extremely troubled students came to me after ten minutes and asked for another sheet of paper so he could write multiple letters.

I know I have a curriculum to teach, but - goodness - I love it when we get to talk about those real life lessons like saying "Thank You."

Thoughts for the long weekend:

- My Principal approached me this morning and let me know that he wants me to be a part of the APP committee for our school, to find and suggest apps to sync to all student iPads. I'm a little intimidated, but I love feeling like I can contribute to this school. I already feel like the school has done so much for me (I'm starting to realize that administrations have to be extremely brave to hire interns who have no idea what they are doing! But I'm sooooo lucky!)

- It's my first Thanksgiving without my Jex family. I'm a little heartbroken to hear about all the movies and family traditions I will miss out on, and I'm still terrified to try my hand at anything unfamiliar in the kitchen without my mama, but I'm so grateful that they have each taught me so much:

  • Mom - As a seminary teacher for five years (nearly six), she was the greatest example for me as a teacher. I saw the way she cared for each of her students, I saw the heart and soul she put into each lesson, and I saw her love for her Heavenly Father. She was the model I have tried to emulate over these past few months, and I couldn't have stayed sane without her ever patient ears to all of my venting...
  • Dad - I can't tell you how many times a lesson has spiraled down the tube of despair and left me wishing I could just give up. Turn in my keys, lock up, and go home. But, my father has never allowed me to live with any less than my best. He has had many of his own plans spiral down similar tubes, but has never let it phase him, let it get under his skin, or let it push him to quit. He is the voice in my head when I want to burst a blood vessel in front of my students saying, "Calm down. Take it easy. One step at a time. You can do this."
  • Matt - An older brother can never let you take yourself too seriously. If I ever think of calling to vent to him, I usually get a "Suck it up," or a confirmation that I really am a "Horrible Teacher." But for some reason, when he does it, I can't help but laugh and realize that I'm way too wrapped up in myself. His persistent guilt trips make me laugh and make me realize that there are many more important things out there. Plus, he's my one peek into the mind of my 8th grade boys. Heaven knows I don't know a thing about the sports article I'm planning on using the next day, but Matt knows if its going to go over with them or just crash and burn. Food and sports, right Matt? Food and sports are key.
  • Emily - Having a younger sister here in the same city has been a huge blessing. As I watch her take to college with a kind of grace and maturity (as mature as a college Freshman can be, of course!) that I never had myself, I am often reminded of what I can do better in this new experience of teaching. She reminds me to be grateful for the things that are going well, and to put in the work when things get tough. 

- I WILL NOT GRADE A SINGLE PAPER OVER THANKSGIVING. (Good thing I got it all done this weekend!)

- I wish I could adequately convey to my past teachers how much their examples, their hard work, and their dedication to a less-than-appreciated profession means to me now. Their faces seem ever more prominent in my mind as each day passes - Mrs. Sertich from 7th grade who taught me how to be a better friend and to have the courage to do the right thing; Mr. E from 7th grade who told me (long after tryouts) that I "sucked" during those first few days, but that he saw in me a drive for constant improvement; Mr. Ahern from 11th grade who showed me I could be funny when another teacher had killed the "funny" in me years before; Mrs. Schrier who took the first paper I gave her (upon which I had received enormous accolades from my previous English teacher) and bloodied it with red pen - she pushed me harder than I had ever been pushed before to refine my writing and my reading skills. All of them - if I could only show them what they did for me. I suppose following their example and doing the same for my students is a start...

- I love being a teacher - even on the hard days. It makes it all so worthwhile. My teaching doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be teachable. I'm a teachable teacher... and I'm so grateful for all those who have been willing to teach, correct, and mentor me.

Have the happiest of Thanksgivings....

1 comment:

  1. Your teachability (not sure that's exactly a word, but you get it, right?) is one of your finest qualities that makes you a fabulous student and a teacher who constantly improves. There is much to learn and many ways to grow, but you are a natural and improving at a very fast rate. I'm glad you gave your students this assignment and that you did it yourself.

    ReplyDelete