Friday, September 7, 2012

Grading

Biggest let-down of my education: there was not an education class dedicated to teaching me how to grade or how to handle the onslaught of student assignments from a single day.

Whewy, it's hard.

You give out one assignment and get 170+ papers in return.

It's hard, but what I've found that works for me is giving purpose to my points. If the purpose of an assignment was to have them practice summary and theme while using transition words in their summary, give a certain amount of points from the total to each of those tasks.

It has saved my little teacher butt, so far. It keeps me from playing favorites - in fact, I don't even look at the name before I grade the assignments (I know, I know, there are problems with that, too. I do take into account the student, their circumstances, and their past performance, but it helps me stay objective with grading).

However, I have absolutely no experience with this! Already students are failing my class (mostly because they don't turn anything in, despite my numerous and varied reminders), and I keep thinking, Am I actually qualified to be giving these grades? Am I really qualified to say that a student hasn't achieved a specific standard? 

Fake it til you make it, right?

I am having fun though. Especially with themes - some of these students are so incredibly profound without even realizing it. It blows my mind every time I read my seventh graders coming up with themes like "Truly loving someone means showing respect."

Say what? Let me pick my jaw up off the floor.

So though I'm overwhelmed by the stack of papers I'll be carrying home like little Gus-Gus from Cinderella with his little kernels of corn, this weekend should be fun. There's nothing like grading papers to bring me and my hubby together! :D

I'm looking forward to my future grading adventures.

1 comment:

  1. You bring up a central teacher question. What do you do with all of those papers? Do you really have to grade all of them?

    No.

    That's right. No.

    You were right on when you said that you need to grade with a purpose. So, when you attack a stack of papers, be sure that you're not grading for all the writing traits or for exemplary level writing. Are you looking for content? Are you looking for structure? Are you looking to make sure they just did it? Grading with a purpose will save you time and energy.

    On a lighter note, it is amazing what they come up with. Aren't your students so smart?!?

    ReplyDelete