Sometimes you leave work with only one thought: where did I go wrong...?
The first book assignment is due tomorrow - students were required to be reading at home for the past 3 weeks, and it's pretty much the only homework I give each day. Every day last week I said, "Come and see me this week if you are worried about finishing in time and we'll talk about a deadline extension." Every flippin day I made this announcement. On Friday, I warned that I wouldn't be making any exceptions to the deadline on Monday.
How many students came to me with sad little puppy eyes today, saying, "Mrs. Brown, I just can't/couldn't finish my book by the deadline. I was so busy. My mom has a boyfriend and he's over a lot and so I really can't do my homework a lot of the time...[insert any possible excuse here]"?
There were 15 students.
Not to mention the 5 who still haven't picked a book, by the way.
Where did I go wrong?
Do I stick to my guns and keep that deadline in place or do I cave? Everything in me says stick to the deadline and keep to your expectations, but those puppy dog eyes really get to me.
We'll see what tomorrow brings.
More grading tonight. I-time (intervention) starts tomorrow, so that will be fun!
Oh Adventure, you never do stop.
These are the decisions that try a teacher's soul. Do you say "I don't want to hear the excuses. Turn it in for late credit." Or do you hear each plea for leniency and yield? This is a tough one. Justice or mercy? Can you have both? I think in the realities of the classroom both are essential.
ReplyDeleteYou can't cut them slack all the time because they'll fail to learn deadlines matter. There is a consequence for late work. But, if they don't mind the 10% off, then turn it in late (or whatever the consequence might be). THe great thing is that you (the general teacher you in theory and you specifically in the way I see this playing out in my mind) can say this to them in a nice way. With a big enough smile and enough love you can say anything. Be firm. DOn't get walked on, but still help them learn.