Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Grown-Up Time

Second supervisor observation today.

No fear anymore. Just love.

Seriously - every teacher needs someone in their classroom (another teacher preferably) to just watch, observe and give suggestions. Sometimes my supervisors gives me some advice which I immediately use in my next period and it's like night and day difference! Every teacher - no matter how old or how many years of experience - needs an extra pair of eyes in their room to see what they may be blind to.

After her observation, I sat and chatted with her for the next 45 minutes.

(Sorry Dr. Coombs for chatting your ear off.)

But it made me realize this: I need more adult time. The kind of time where I'm not a teacher and I can talk about grown-up things. Where I don't have to say something 14 different times in 16 different ways. I need me time...

So I left school at 3:00pm today to get some me time... okay, it was for a doctor appointment, but that counts, right?

Cheers to being a grown-up ... well, sort of. :D

1 comment:

  1. No apologies necessary. This is why we have debriefing time. It's one thing to listen to someone else tell you what to do (see my previous responses to your previous post), but it's another to have someone listen to you as you reflect, give feedback, and then listen to you again as you process the ideas on a different level, hopefully to the point where you remember them, make them a part of you, and retain it to the point that it influences your teaching the next day. That's what these chat sessions are here for.

    And, if it's of any consolation, I benefit from them too. I need to start noting how many times in my teaching and writing I refer to something I've seen or heard in the classes I observe or from the teachers with whom I communicate on a regular basis. Ah, the benefits of dialogue!

    Finally, good for you for taking time to go to the doctor and to engage in adult conversation. This is going to be a lifesaver for you on so many levels...

    ReplyDelete