Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Adapting

I realized after the upheaval of emotions yesterday why it's so easy to become cynical about teaching and why some of the teachers here chuckle when they hear that students didn't turn in book reports (even though it was fun. gah).

So, to avoid that cynicism, I'm adapting. I'm not lowering expectations of students, I'm just figuring out what will work best for them. And for me. And for them. Okay - for me.

Today, I instituted a new procedure. Students will get out their planners the minute they come into class and turn to the page for that week. This is so that when I say, "This is what you need to do tonight, so write it in your planners," they already have it out and ready to go. Also, it allows me to hold them accountable so when they say, "I forgot" I can have them show me their planners. Also, hopefully it will encourage them to use those planners!

Next, I revised my latework policy. I've set deadlines for assignments and have put them on the board. I've also set "LATE" deadlines, so that students know the last day that they will actually get credit for an assignment. Don't worry, I've already thought that this may bite me in the butt later, but I'm going to try it. I sure as heck don't want students waiting until the day before the term ends to turn things in to me.

In other revisions, students will not be able to revise assignments if they did not turn it in on time. Hopefully this is some kind of motivation for them to get work done!

And - sad day of sad days - I'm going to dedicate class periods to students working on these big assignments IN CLASS (this makes me sad because I feel like that limits so many different possibilities for them, but we'll see how it goes). Most of the teachers here have told me that they made that decision shortly after learning that most students were cheating/plagiarizing if they did it at home. Because of this, most of the teachers have assessed that students were lying when they said they were reading at home. Yay for sad learning experiences.

Lastly - I'm going to give more time. Not more time to read, but more time in class for students to work. It has been something I've struggled with because I see each day as a limited opportunity and I want to be able to move forward, but it does no good to move forward if the sacrifice is leaving students behind. I have to see lessons and objectives in terms of achievement, not time. That means staying flexible. Shuffling assignments. Moving deadlines. Changing plans. Sacrificing entire units even. But I think it will make me a better teacher in the end.

So thanks, Reflection, for saving my sanity.

Here we go again!

2 comments:

  1. A teacher in an inner-city school came to talk to my class and said she held kids accountable by having come to her class for lunch every day until the assignment was turned in. And not just turned in, but turned in looking acceptable - not a slapdash job. She said it was a pain because it ruined her lunch break for the whole first semester, but kids saw she meant business and they turned their work in on time. It wasn't a fun lunch hour either - they didn't get to talk and play, just worked. She said it was kind of harsh, but for those kids it worked. Just something to think about. (Hope you don't mind me commenting...I'm just reliving my student teaching as I read your posts.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The suggestion Stacey made is similar to what Provo High just started doing on Fridays. You might want to talk to Whitney about it and see what she thinks.

    I think this approach you mentioned is worth a try. Don't think of it as a total waste of class time to have students working. This way you can individualize instruction and really help the kids who need help. One tip: don't just turn them loose to work all class period. Be sure to structure it so that they don't go crazy thinking 40 minutes is an eternity and their assignment will be complete in 5 so they have 35 to goof off.

    You might also want to look at some of Nancy Atwell's stuff about writers workshop or readers workshop. The approach she describes helps kids learn to be self-directed and can help them really learn the skills you want them to learn. Remember, great teaching isn't always about what goes on in front of the class. If you can help kids learn, help them turn out great writing, and help them become readers, that's time in class well spent.

    ReplyDelete