We're writing narratives. Yay. So fun. My mentor teacher encouraged me to write with them (which I was doing anyway because I LOVE it) but he also encouraged me to write about my experiences in middle school. To make myself more human to them, more relatable I suppose.
Well we had a prompt about our most embarrassing stories and mine just happened to be from middle school. I thought it would be perfect. Of course.
Here's the beginning of my narrative that I wrote with the class:
The Puddle of Shame
I raised up my arms -- the volleyball was out-of-bounds. The crowd roared at me with disappointment at
the call, but I couldn’t hear them. The only thing I heard was my pulse drumming in my ears.
I’m never going
to make it, I thought. My
game’s after this and there’s just no time!
My feet did a dance
beneath me and my legs tightened. The pressure was unbearable.
I'll just let you imagine where it goes from there...
My 7th graders? Ate it up. Laughed until they peed. I couldn't wipe the smile off of their faces.
My 8th graders? Less than pleased. I had one period reply, "Mrs. Brown, you're disgusting" after I finished my story. I mostly got oh-my-gosh-I-can't-believe-my-teacher-had-an-accident-when-she-was-in-seventh-grade kind of looks.
My rep with them? Totally gone. Swirling down the drain of shame.
Don't ask me how to get it back. I'm working on it though. Mostly by displays of power. If they are going to laugh and make fun of me while I'm trying to get their attention, they'll owe me all of that time. That usually gets them quiet. But it's Wednesday and I'm already dreading the story that will spread around the school about Mrs. Brown. Oh well. Remember that island that I'm building where I'm in charge of who stays and who goes? Right now, those 8th graders can take a tug boat outta here, because I'm not going to let it ruin my day. I just know now not to use my most embarrassing stories. Definitely TMI.
But, it was a great day. I went to the library to schedule one of the computer labs for next week (when we'll be creating the final drafts of our narratives). The librarian was surprised to hear from me. She said, "Wow, you must be a planner. No one else schedules labs that far in advance. They usually tell me a day or two before! Way to go."
Yeah. I'm a planner. (NOT). I have been feeling like this week has been just one day at a time, adjusting and reevaluating after each day, making future plans more difficult to establish, of course. However, I'm feeling good. Is everything going to go according to plan? No. But I have one, and I'm ready for whatever gets thrown at me!
For the record, I still respect you even though you peed your pants in middle school:) Second, it couldn't have been a bigger hit with the 7th graders, so you don't regret that, do you? The difference between 8th grade and 7th is ever so slight, but can make all the difference. Perhaps your new challenge might be to differentiate by developmental levels in ways that might appeal to each group individually. I think you're in charge enough to get those 8th graders back; don't let them play you. We both know some of them probably have done a similar thing this year, so you bringing it up might hit a little too close to home;)
ReplyDelete