Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"It Could Not Be Written..."

In the scriptures, there are several accounts of experiences that are so celestial, so transcendent, so spiritually remarkable that the details "could not be written."

Yesterday was one of those days for me.

So, I'm not going to say anything about the refiner's fire I went through to get there, but I am grateful for a loving Father in Heaven who knows my needs and my weaknesses, who caters so specifically to those needs and weaknesses to help me become stronger. I am grateful for supportive parents who are there to listen and remind me of my own hypocrisy: I can't blame myself for students' failures if I'm also not willing to acknowledge my part in student successes. I am grateful for my own mental island (that I'm starting to build) where I get to dictate who stays and who goes - who affects me - and cast away those who don't belong. I am grateful for an administration that's willing to look at the facts, that acknowledges the efforts I did put forth. I am grateful for the people and mentors in my life who are willing to listen and wipe away a few tears. Mostly, I am grateful for the overwhelming number of parents who I can count on as my allies, who understand that I am only trying to help their children succeed.

After my "could not be written" experiences yesterday, I came into my room this morning and faced my new biggest fear - parent contact. I picked up the phone and dialed the number of a parent whose student had been complaining that he couldn't do any of my homework because reading hurt his eyes and gave him a severe headache (granted he hasn't even picked a book yet for our second novel which is due in a week). He said he was supposed to get glasses soon, but he didn't know when. I spoke with this mother and felt my fears dissipate when I realized that she was just like me - someone who is just trying to do her best to help her son. When I explained the situation and asked what I could do to help, she was extremely supportive and expressed gratitude that someone cared enough to call. Does it mean the problem is completely solved? No. But I know there's a bridge there now I can count on, and we're both making steps on both ends.

It's an incredible feeling to know you're not alone. What's an adventure without some help along the way?

1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine how challenging this must have been, particularly because of the experience with Chantal (?) and her parent last week. I'm glad you were able to do this, not only to help this student, but also so that you could have a positive interaction with a parent that set a new precedent for parental interactions.

    ReplyDelete